Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why I Stopped Eating Meat and Started Eating More Plant Based Foods




One week ago, I decided to cut dairy and meat out of my diet. I know that was a dramatic diet change. However, It was easy for me to make that decision because of my family history of high cholesterol, hypertension, stroke, diabetes and cancer.

Studies show that many of the illness es that I named above are caused by the foods that we eat. Several years ago my diet consisted of eating lots of fried chicken, bacon and eggs for breakfast, sodas and I loved eating pork chitterlings.

Last year my doctor told me that my cholesterol was too high and that I could lower it with medication or a healthier diet. I decided to eat healthier.

Looking at that list of foods above made me think about how I excited I am that my arteries are no longer at risk of being clogged from the fat that is in friend chicken, bacon and eggs.

In last week's post, I mentioned that I was reading a book titled, the China Study. The China Study covers the facts about foods that contain animal fats and it was enough information in the book to inspire me to cut the meat and daity from my diet and eat more plant based foods including: more fruits & vegetables, whole grains and plant based meat.

Now just in case you are wondering how I did it, I want to share with you what I've been eating to assure that I get enough protein and eating plenty of healthy foods.

I also must add that my decision to cut the meat was a gradual change for my family, however, when I explained to my kids that I want to be around to enjoy my grand kids in my old age, they understood:). Moreover, I want my husband and I both to be healthier as we enjoy our Journey together

My New diet...
 Some of the foods that I eat for breakfast includes: Oatmeal, cereal bar, pancakes, waffles, potatoes, fruit, coffee with almond milk. I assure that I get a grain, fruit and I add a plant based milk in my coffee.

Snack... Whole grain bar and Apple

For lunch... I enjoy a large salad loaded with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, pasta, soup, fruit and water. Other food choices include: hummus dips with crackers, salads, beans, with rice and vegetables.

Dinner...I cook a soy based meat, fish or beans along with grains and fruit. For example: Fettuccine, soy based meat, broccoli and watermelon or Fish, potatoes, salad and cantaloupe.

Evening Snack...Whole grain Crackers with soy cheese and Green Tea

I only choose to eat soy based ice cream when I desire it.

My hope is that I have inspired you to eat and live healthier because your body depends on it. You may not choose to cut meat from your diet, however, I want to leave you with this thought. I once heard Doctor Don Colbert say, " Eat foods that give you life." Foods that give you life are grown from the earth (fruits, vegetables and whole grains)  Check out this video----> http://forksoverknives.com/


With Health & Wellness in Mind!
Shiketa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Natural Living 101 Headline Animator