Thursday, September 15, 2011

Life Without Meat


Several years ago I hosted a Health & Wellness Party at my home and invited my friend (Sheila Pryor of Achievers Step by Step) to come and demonstrate to my guest how to cook Vegan style.

At that point in my life, I was only willing to eat Vegan Style along with eating chicken and turkey. In other words, I was not ready to go Vegan and give up eating Chicken...NO WAY!

In my last blog post, Why I stopped eating meat and eating more plant based foods, I explained why I decided to eat less foods that contained animal fat and eat more whole foods.

As I write this blog post, I am on my second week of eating no meat or dairy products including: chicken, pork, beef, turkey. I must say, It's been an interesting Journey and I'm loving it. I've lost five pounds and noticed several other positive changes to  my body that I will not discuss in this blog post.

I also, want to be truthful with you, when you stop eating foods that you've been eating for 30 plus years, your body will go through a withdrawal phase. I'm not a doctor and I say this from my experience. After 14 days with no meat, I did start to feel sluggish and I believe it was because my body was craving something that it was used to getting. To get through the sluggish phase, I simply drink a smoothie made with soy yogurt or peanut butter with crackers or celery. Also, throughout the day, I snack on mixed nuts.

As I went grocery shopping today, I entered the meat department at a local Dierbergs and it felt quite strange as I entered the meat department. In fact, I stopped and stared at the meat for about 30 seconds, lol. Then I noticed a variety of soy based meats that I've tried in the past.

One of my favorite plant based meats is made by a company called Match Foods. I had the opportunity to taste a plant based roast that was made by Math about a year ago and it was stuffed with sage stuffing. It was delicious and it taste like turkey. I could hardly believe it was not meat.

As I browsed the internet this morning for vegan recipe ideas, I discovered a website titled, The Casual Vegan. The blog is written by a couple who are obsessed with eating well and living well. Check out their blog, click here.

I am really enjoying sharing this healthy living journey with you and I hope that you are enjoying it as well. I look forward to reading your comments and I hope that you have been inspired to live a healthier life!

In my next blog post, I will share with you more healthy eating tips that I will learn in my nutritional consultation with Sheila Pryor.

With Health & Wellness in mind,
Natural Living 101
Shiketa











No comments:

Post a Comment

Natural Living 101 Headline Animator