Thanksgiving is traditionally a time of year when families get together and overlook indulgence in food as they enjoy their time together. As we know if you really LOVE your Loved ones you will take care in what you eat this Thanksgiving. We all want to make it to the Christmas and New Year season without regrets of food that may have tasted great but was not beneficial for our waistline. So without further delay I would like to share my Top 5 List of Making this Thanksgiving: Happy, Healthy and Guilt Free.
Tip 1: For appetizers look to using fresh fruits and vegetables. Serving a vegetable and/or fruit tray will begin the festivities on a healthy note.
Tip 2: After appetizers you can opt to serve soup and/ or salad. Filling up with healthy, fresh vegetables before the other courses of your meal is a great way to prevent overeating. Homemade fresh soups and salads are antioxidant rich and curb your appetite. Here is a suggestion using the super foods kale and gogi berries.
Kale and Gogi Berry Salad Recipe
• 1/2 large head of kale (about 4-6 cups)
• 1 cup finely chopped red onion
• 1/2 red bell pepper
• 1/2-3/4 cup chopped carrot (2 small carrots)
• 1 English cucumber (2 cups chopped halves)
• 1 avocado, chopped
• 1 & 1/4 cup chopped grape tomatoes (or other variety)
• 1/2 cup mixed raisins and Goji berries
• 1/4 cup ground flax seed
• 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Dressing: Add your choice of dressing or opt for apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil with some tossed fresh herbs.
1. Chop vegetables and mix in a large mixing bowl. Reserve flax seed, walnuts, raisins and gogi berries for sprinkling on top.
2. Tear the leaves of the kale and chop into small bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry kale leaves.
3. Mix the vegetables, kale leaves, and dressing in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
5. Place in fridge to ‘marinate’ for 10-15 minutes. Serves 4.
Tip 3: You have options other than actual meat based Turkey for the main entrée. You may opt for one from the suggested list or a combination of two.
Alternatives to serving Turkey
*Gardein brand vegetarian “meats” are universally loved. Gardein meats are delicious, aesthetically appealing, easy to use and absorb other flavors well, so you can cook with them and add any spices you like, just like real meat.
**Tofu Mock Turkey Loaf.
**Healthy Lentil and Rice Loaf
**TVP and Tofu loaf
**Natures Burger Mock Meat Loaf
I truly hope that you enjoy this Thanksgiving with family, friends, and all Loved ones joyously laughing while enjoying a healthy meal.
Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving from our Family to Yours!
If you are interested in living a happy and healthy life pick up Joy of Healthy Living: The Guide to Eating Right for Life at Amazon and Barnes and Noble .com December 2011.
Do you want complete physical, mental and social well being? Do you believe that you are what you eat? Fruits and vegetables are the key to unlocking solutions of all questions you are having about Your Health and Your Wellness.
The Joy of Healthy Living: The Guide to Eating Right for Life is an: Easy-to-read and filled with positive, practical information and tips on the powerful health benefits of fruits and vegetables for every day, at every age and stage of life. This book will provide…
• Solutions for health and nutrition including cancer, heart disease, hypertension, diabetes , and more
• Eating for healthy aging
• Functional foods with health-promoting phytonutrients and antioxidant power.
• Overcoming Food allergies and intolerances, including celiac disease.)
• Carbohydrates and the glycemic index
• Eating for high performance (sports)
• Feeding children– with guidance on high performance based on nutrition from fruits and vegetables
• And more!
Get The Joy of Healthy Living: The Guide To Eating Right For Life at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.com, December 2011.
Deborah Francis, MSED
Health and Wellness Consultant, Author and Speaker
Connect with me on Facebook!
Deborah Francis is CEO of the Joy of Healthy Living, LLC. Recognized health and wellness expert, Deborah promotes the correlation of eating right as a healing tool towards prevention and pursuit of good health. As a wife, mother educator, entrepreneur, author and speaker, Deborah supports her “Joy of Healthy Living” message with practical ways to eat to live as opposed to living to eat!
As an accomplished author, Deborah has written numerous books, including Built To Prosper For Women: The Principles of Self Mastery this comprehensive guide uses real life wisdom to delve into what limiting thinking can do, and best of all, how to conquer this thinking and rapidly transform your life. It is time to learn and apply the principles of success, so you can position yourself to live well and prosper in all areas of your life may they be spiritual, mental, physical or financial. This book inspires you to take action to be empowered to stay healthy in mind, body, and spirit. • Be a winner, no matter what they say!